Monday, August 17, 2015

Title tag length and why is Google displaying that...

Recently, I noticed Google decided to ignore my title tags and use an alternative title tag generated by Google. This was very annoying as I wanted Google to not think for me. After some digging around, it turns out that Google will substitute a more appropriate Title in the search results if the title tag is either too long or too short.

In my example, Google was displaying "Bucks County - Bellemore Photography" despite my page title being: "Bucks County Wedding Photography: and some town names". I believe Google picked up on internal links to these pages that only reference the Bucks County and used that along with company name instead of my title tags.

I can only assume that Google did this as a way of penalizing me for using a really long page title. I recently dropped the cities from the title tag and I'm doing my best to keep titles around 60 characters. So now the new title on the page is: Bucks County PA Wedding Photographer: Bellemore Photography

Stay tuned for updates but I'm hoping this corrects the title problem within Google!



No comments:

Post a Comment